- Welland Canal
Take your bike on the GO Train and cycle the beautifully natural Durham waterfront. Start your ride from the Pickering GO Train station, and end at the train in Rouge Hill. Or head the other way to catch the train in Ajax!
This ride starts - or ends - at the Pickering GO Train station. Exit to the south of the station and head down Liverpool Road to discover Pickering's beautiful waterfront marina and beach. Then follow the Waterfront Trail maps west to Rouge Hill station, or east to the train in Ajax and Whitby.
Recommended for all casual riders, children and adults - be careful, always, and take the south sidewalk on Bayly St. in Pickering. To get the most out of your day, download / print up one of these maps (Garmin GPS download below):
Bikes and Transit Route Maps
- Google Earth: Pickering to Rouge Hill by GO Train .kml
Google Earth: Ajax to Pickering by GO Train .kml
- Waterfront Trail: Pickering .pdf
Waterfront Trail: Rouge Hill .pdf
Waterfront Trail: Ajax .pdf
Waterfront Trail: Whitby .pdf
The Discover Durham Region's Trails cycling and hiking map and Toronto Cycling Map - look for the Highland Creek Bikeway between Rouge Hill to Guildwood GO Trains - are also recomended to get the most out of this route.
Try the route in either direction - Along the way you won't miss - and will never forget - these wonderful natural features:
- Pickering Beach and Marina, and Frenchman's Bay
- Petticoat Creek
- Rouge River and Rouge Beach
- Highland Creek
Schedules and Fares
- Here is the GO Transit Train Schedule for Lakeshore East
- Train fare to Pickering (from Union Station): $6.20 adult one way, $3.10 children/seniors
- Take your bike to the train, via the TTC Subway - $3.00 fare / $9.00 family pass - transfer at Union subway station (to train at GO Union) or Main Street subway station (to train at GO Danforth)
- Join the route by GO Bus and bike rack - transfer at GO Transit's Whitby and Union bus / train stations
To be continued...